Wednesday, February 9, 2011

How Much Snow is Enough?

If you think all I have been writing about lately is dogs and snow, you would be right! That seems to be the center of my existence these days.
However, I am beginning to feel I have landed in some alternative universe. When I was growing up in this place, if we got a snowfall every five years or so, we felt very lucky to see it on those rare occasions. As of today, we have had FIVE snowfalls in the past 30 days! This is Arkansas......we are too far south for this sort of thing.


I was sitting in bed this morning with Bob the Beagle, checking my email and listening to the news when I looked up saw this beautiful wonderland just outside my bedroom window. I put the laptop down, turned off the television and just sat and took it all in.
It didn't last too long though because Bob was missing his daily does of current events!


When I took Bob out for his morning ritual, (he buried up to his tummy in the snow!)I was surprised to see my car, which had been in the carport for several days, completely covered in snow and ice. It took some serious wind to blow all of that into a covered area.



Around noon, I was just too curious, so I measured. Compared to the two feet of snow the good folks in the northwest corner of the state got, this is pretty puny, but it was plenty for me.


I decided, given my proclivity for accidents, venturing out on the uncovered section of the deck probably wasn't the best idea.



This is the view from my upper deck of the small town below. It snowed so hard for most of the day, it was after 3:00 this afternoon before I could even see this.




This is the uncovered deck on the other end of the house.
The snow is beautiful and as long as we have water, heat and electricity, I don't mind it at all. But I am just having a difficult time wrapping my head around the fact this is ARKANSAS. Definitely not the same Arkansas of my youth.........but then, I guess neither am I!
Stay warm out there.