Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Ledge, Chicago

The next time I visit Chicago, I know what I WON'T be doing. I won't be taking the elevator up to the 103 floor of the Sears Tower to step out on a 1 1/2 inch thick panel of glass to get a better view of the city below!
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/sears.tower.ledge.2.998845.html
It is called The Ledge and it opens tomorrow.
My knees buckled just watching a film clip of someone standing on it.
It isn't like the top of the CN Tower in Toronto where there is a glass panel inserted in the floor. Or the Grand Canyon Skywalk where you can step to one side or the other and grab a rail and stand on opaque material. It is all glass and extends 4.3 feet from the outside of the building and has been described as "walking on air".
I don't know about you, but I like walking on a solid surface that doesn't allow me to see what is going on 1350 feet below me. But I know people who will go to Chicago, just to have this experience. Reading about it is about as close as I want to get!