Sunday, January 9, 2011

Snowy Sunday Evening

I suppose if snow made a sound as it hit the ground, that would be the only thing heard outside on the mountain tonight. But since it doesn't, it is eerily quiet.
The rocks that line the path from the house up to the pump house are almost invisible. I suspect they will be covered by morning.
We are as prepared as we can be.........all outside dogs are in enclosed, covered areas, each with his own doghouse containing two sleeping bags and heat lamps. My inside doggies are snuggled into their own blankets, oblivious of the world changing just outside their door. We have put out bird seed for the many tiny visitors stopping by, looking for the meal they can't find buried beneath the snow and ice. It is interesting to watch the tiny finches eating along side the vibrant red cardinals and the bully blue jays.
We have food, water, heat, and just-in-case the power goes out, plenty of dry wood for the fireplace, oil lanterns and flashlights, and our cell phones and laptops are on their chargers. I have gone through this routine for the past seven winters.......just seems natural now.
I love these winter nights on the mountain when we have electricity. Everything outside is so beautiful and I seem to have a tendency to turn inward and think about how very fortunate I am.
So on this beautiful Sunday night when the whole country is still reeling from the actions of one deranged individual in Arizona, I feel a bit guilty for the tranquility my tiny little piece of the mountain offers.