Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snow...And No Power

The power has been out here since about 11:00pm Friday. The combination of 2" of ice one day followed by almost 4" of snow the next proved just a little too much for the above-ground power lines we have here.


The temperature outside on Saturday morning loomed in the low 20s. After about 12 hours of no heat inside, the temperature dipped below 50. But a fire in the downstairs fireplace made it manageable....if we (Bob the Beagle, Amber the Chocolate Lab and I) didn't stray very far.


My upstairs deck..........beautiful, perfectly formed icicles almost touching the snow drifts.



A view of a snow-covered Danville from my porch on Saturday morning.




The snow in our yard Saturday morning, disturbed only by a curious dog's footprints.




Our driveway, covered in snow over a layer of ice.

To all of the wonderful friends who offered, some insisting, that I let you come and get me, this might better explain why I couldn't let you risk the steep drive. And to those same friends, thank you for understanding that I really couldn't leave my house or my dogs alone under these circumstances.

As you can see, the power lines were weighted down, dangerously low with ice.

This is truly beautiful, isn't it?


Not having television, or computers, or heat, or electricity, or running water (we have a well - power goes out, so does the water!), Bob didn't seem too affected by it all. This is one cool fellow!
Looks pretty good in his fleece hoodie, don't you think?

The power came back on about 8:00pm Saturday evening. So life is returning to normal on top of the mountain..........heating the house back up may take a little more time.